This blog chronicles the miracles and struggles of our daughters, Emily and Olivia. Emily was born 15 weeks early and had many complications, but she continues to amaze us! Olivia, born in China with heart complications, is also beating the odds. She joined her forever family (us!) when she was four years old and has been doing wonderfully! UPDATE: We started homeschooling August 2009 :)

Thursday, May 31, 2007

The results are in...

We went back to the endocrinlogist today for the analysis of all the labs that were ordered. The good news is that the latest blood test showed that thyroid levels are now in the normal range and we do not need any follow up!! Her anemia also seems to be responding to the iron supplements :) VERY good news!!

The only bad news is that we already spent $$$ out of pocket for a slew of (unneccessary?) labs that we think were ordered a little prematurely (the hand x-ray wasn't even read yet). I'm also questioning why we even needed to come in for today's office visit (more $$$ out of pocket). They didn't look up the blood results until we got there and then declared her healthy, but it seems like a phone call could have sufficed.

Andy had the right idea when he balked at all the labs and suggested (to me) that it'd make more sense to wait for the new blood results first to see if the other tests were still warranted...I agreed but wasn't assertive enough to call back and debate the order of events... so I did what I was told to do. Now that we're out several hundred of dollars for tests we didn't need I'm really kicking myself! Of course, Olivia's health is our first concern and I'm thrilled that her thyroid is fine. I just wish medical professionals would consider the cost before ordering tests that may not even be needed. I suppose they assume it's all complimentary thanks to insurance, but that's not always the case--we have a very high deductible. Okay, off my soap box ;-> The bottom line is Olivia's thyroid is NORMAL!!! :)

No comments: