This blog chronicles the miracles and struggles of our daughters, Emily and Olivia. Emily was born 15 weeks early and had many complications, but she continues to amaze us! Olivia, born in China with heart complications, is also beating the odds. She joined her forever family (us!) when she was four years old and has been doing wonderfully! UPDATE: We started homeschooling August 2009 :)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Very, very sad news






Earlier today one of the little girls who inspired this song died in a tragic accident. She was only five years old, just like Olivia, and also adopted from China. Maria Chapman, daughter of Christian recording artist, Steven Curtis Chapman, was killed in a tragic car accident in her driveway in Franklin, Tennessee. Her teenage brother was at the wheel of the SUV and apparently didn't see her.
SCC's website says, "Just hours before this close knit family was celebrating the engagement of the oldest daughter Emily Chapman, and were just hours away from a graduation party marking Caleb Chapman's completion of high school. Now, they are preparing to bury a child who blew out 5 candles on a birthday cake less than 10 days ago. These words are unthinkable to type."

The Chapmans have six children, three adopted from China and are tireless advocates for kids who need families. They even started a foundation, Shaohanna's Hope, named after their first adopted child and have had concerts here and in China to raise awareness and funds to help families adopt.
His latest song, "Cinderella," was inspired after bath time with the two youngest girls, Stevey Joy and Maria. I'll never hear it the same way again. Especially the part where he says, "So I'll dance with Cinderella while she is here in my arms...I don't want to miss even one song 'cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight and she'll be gone. She'll be gone."
We never know how much time we'll have with our loved ones so cherish them now. I'm going to give my kids some extra hugs and pray for the Chapman family to get through this tough time. I'm especially praying for Maria's big brother who is probably going to have a very heavy heart and quite a burden to bear. What a terrible tragedy.

This goofy video of Steven Curtis Chapman taken two months ago shows him at home washing dishes and singing with his Cinderella, Maria. She was a cute little girl! The second video shows the Cinderella video and the story behind it.








Cinderella

She spins and she sways
To whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting here wearing
The weight of the world on my shoulders

It's been a long day
And there's still work to do
She's pulling at me
Saying "Dad, I need you

There's a ball at the castle
And I've been invited
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I'll dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with Cinderella
I don't wanna miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone...

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of her dress
She says, "Dad, the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I'll dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She'll be gone

Well, she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowing and telling us all they had planned
She says, "Dad, the wedding's still six months away
But I need to practice my dancing
Oh, please, Daddy, please?"

So I'll dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh, I danced with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.

No comments: