This blog chronicles the miracles and struggles of our daughters, Emily and Olivia. Emily was born 15 weeks early and had many complications, but she continues to amaze us! Olivia, born in China with heart complications, is also beating the odds. She joined her forever family (us!) when she was four years old and has been doing wonderfully! UPDATE: We started homeschooling August 2009 :)

Friday, March 07, 2008

A turn for the worse :(

Instead of getting better, today Olivia seemed to be much worse. She was very lethargic, barely opening her eyes or speaking, wouldn't eat, wouldn't sit up and had no interest in her favorite TV shows. Her cough sounded worse and all she wanted to do was sleep. The final straw was when I saw that her temperature was 103. I started to wonder if she had pneumonia and took her in to to see the pediatrician. After the doctor repeatedly said in a very sober tone, "she's a very, very sick little girl," I started to get really worried. So, when the chest x-rays confirmed pneumonia, I was actually kind of relieved. At least that is treatable with antibiotics. Much to Olivia's dismay, because she was so sick, she got a jump start with her antibiotics injected right into her poor rear end. Then, she'll be on an oral antibiotic for ten days. The Doctor said she should be a "whole new girl" by Sunday :)

I'm also trying to push the fluids to prevent dehydration, but she's not too interested. She has had one popsicle though. Hopefully we'll start to see the old Olivia again soon!

5 comments:

Shannon and Boyd Bringolf said...

Oh, I hope she gets better soon. pnuemonia is really bad. I know. I will say a little prayer for her. You might try some propel in a really cool bottle to get her to drink. That is how we get Kaci to drink fluids.

Anonymous said...

Oh my 103??? and pneumonia, man that's terrible, I had it once and I honestly though I was dying from the coughing. Im sending lots of good vibes to Olivia and Emily and hope they get better real soon!
P.S Your "1 year ago post" made me cry, such an incredible story, I've been following your journey for about eight months and I'm just amazed at how quick Olivia has adapted to her new life, she's such a happy little girl!

Jennifer said...

Here is to a speedy recovery! It is always so scary when our little ones are sick. We will say prayers for you all. Hugs, too.
JEN SCHMIDT

Caroline said...

Olivia is a tough cookie. It must be hard to see her suffering. She won't let the pneumonia keep her down for long.

Sending love your way!

Caroline

Sue said...

Sorry to hear about Olivia having pneumonia. Hopefully she is feeling better now!!! And a belated Happy 1st Anniversary of your Family Day!!!